The Foundation for San Luis Obispo Public Libraries is a volunteer, nonprofit organization which conducts advocacy, fundraising and program activities to support and strengthen public libraries countywide. The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) public benefit corporation.
We believe that strong libraries help build, nourish and support our community by providing a rich environment for learning and appreciation of knowledge. As Thomas Jefferson said “An informed citizenry is at the heart of a dynamic democracy.” Even in today’s internet-connected world, a public library is at the heart of an informed citizenry. The Foundation pursues its mission of strengthening our public libraries by providing:
- A vigorous program of advocacy with government and other public agencies, community groups, the business community, and the general public on behalf of libraries, reading and literacy;
- A sustained fundraising effort to supplement public tax funding of our countywide system of public libraries;
- Ongoing support for library programs, with supplemental funding and volunteer assistance for those programs approved by the Board of Directors of the Foundation;
- A dynamic program of Foundation-sponsored activities which benefit libraries, reading and the communities; and
- Active collaboration with other community groups including local Friends of the Library, service groups, businesses, other public and private agencies and organizations all working together to strengthen support for our libraries.